Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Weekly Update

So I went in for my weekly appointment. It went a little differently than I expected, but nothing too drastic, just a couple of surprises.

Surprise #1- I lost one pound. I don't know whether to attribute that to my steady diet of eclairs, brownies, and candy bars, or if it was the fact that I had different (lighter) shoes on and I no sweater this time. But, my guess is it was the change of clothes.

Surprise #2 - My blood pressure was a little higher than usual, but not much.

Surprise #3 - The nurse thought my uterus was measuring SMALLER than last week, she's new so she had the other nurse come in to measure. This other nurse said I measured 35 cm, the exact same as last week, which is unusual for me, but they weren't alarmed.

Surprise #4 - The doctor checked me and said, "WOW! That baby is low!" But, I haven't dilated any more, but I am now 70% effaced.

Surprise #5 - I tested positive for group B strep. That is not strep throat. It's a bacteria that a lot of people carry in their bodies and it doesn't harm them, but it can pass to the baby during labor. So as a precaution they will put me on antibiotics during my labor.

So a few little surprises, but nothing too drastic or harmful.

6 comments:

Lacey Sue said...

:) Keeping you in my prayers kiddo! With Braden, one of my last check ups I also lost a pound, it actually freaked me out, (all in one appt.) they found he was transverse, and turned him (one of the most painful experiences of my life...) then he just turned right back...OW! On the way home from this horrid appt. I found out that my Grandma Anderson had passed away. When I got to her house, I passed out on the stairs (while going up) and hit my stomach...needless to say...I don't have fond memories of that appt. But see...don't you feel better knowing that your not alone in having "surprise" check ups?!?! :)

The Mangelson's said...

Thanks for the update, I was actually going to call you tonight to see how everything went. I've been thinking about you the whole day. I can't remember losing weight during my pregnancy, all I remember is that the scale never stoped adding more and more weight each visit, I didn't want to look at it anymore but I know it's very normal to lose a few pounds at the end of the pregnancy. It sounded like everything was different but it's going just fine. It seems like Stockton wants to come out huh. I got high blood pressure in just one of my last dr. appointments when I was pregnant, but the next one it was just fine. Some of my sisters in-law got the strep B as well and the babies were born just fine, they had to put the antibiotics too. But don't panic, it seems everything is going well. Thanks again for the update and we keep you in our prayers as well. You are almost there!!!!

RoShawn said...

I lost a few pounds one of my last few appointments. The girl had me get on the scale twice after she wrote it down, she figured it must be wrong. Youre almost there, I loved hearing at these appointments that things were advancing, I was so worried I was going to go in and they would said I was not dialted or more effaced since the last visit, luckily that wasnt the case.

Mindy said...

My water broke at 36 weeks with Owen, and they hadn't done the strep B test for about 4weeks, (they re-test or something,they did it every couple of weeks starting at about 27 weeks with me, since I started dilating so early and was on bed rest.) so I didn't have a choice since he was pre-term. I had the antibiotics with him. It wasn't too bad. Good luck, I hope the next week is fast for you!

Sistahood said...

I've been on that same diet since Thomas was born...it hasn't done a dang thing for me! I'm so excited for you! You are getting so close. Don't worry about Group B -it sounds scary. I tested positive for it, and everything turned out just fine. I wonder if it was something we were exposed to in Peru? Hmmmm....

Amy said...

70% efface?!?! YAY! Its getting closer and closer! I'm so excited for you! And I had the Strep B thing with Will, too. It didn't effect anything other than getting meds for it, thanks for hte update!