Saturday, February 2, 2008

Alta Butler Wanlass

Nov. 3, 1913 - Feb. 2, 1994



Most people think of Groundhog Day as a day for Punxsutawney Phil and antisipate his weather prediction.But, for me Groundhog Day marks the day that my Grandma Wanlass passed away 14 years ago.

My Grandma Wanlass was a sweet, classy lady that had a spark about her that drew people in. I don't think she had any enemies because she was so lovable and she loved everyone.

I remember when I was very young- probably my first memory of my Grandma Wanlass- she was reading me stories of Brier Fox and Brier Rabbit and sang to me:
"Baby, baby Bunting,
Daddy’s gone a-hunting,
Gone to get a rabbit skin
To wrap the baby Bunting in."


She always had a treat for us kids- whether it was ice cream cones, striped-short bread cookies in the cookie jar, freshly made pink lemonade, or -our favorite- she would throw us candy from her bedroom balcony down to us on the back lawn.

She was quite the green thumb. She and my Grandpa worked tirelessly on their amazing yard. You've never seen such petunias and roses as my Grandma Wanlass'.

I only knew her for 10 years of my life, but in those short years she impacted me forever. She loved her family more than anything. She treated us Grandkids with so much respect and love.

I hope and pray that I can carry on the legacy that my Grandma left for me- and that is to love unconditionally and to always wear a smile.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Awww. I remember your Grandma Wanlass. And I remember the day you find out that she had passed away. I can't believe it was that long ago. What a neat lady.

Anonymous said...

Very sweet.

Leslie Draney said...

Thanks Rach! My eyes are already swollen from watching Pres. Hinckley's funeral and then I get on and read this. I too have been thinking of Grandma today and thinking how ironic it is that Pres. Hinckley's funeral is the same day as Grandma's passing. She was a wonderful Grandma and I miss both her and Grandpa. Thanks for such a sweet tribute to her.