Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Ancient Chinese Torture

So, yesterday I went to the dentist to get some cavities filled. Now I haven't had a cavity since I was just little, so I kinda forgot what it was like to get them filled. But, apparently dentistry has changed a bit since 1990, because it was completely different from what I remember. After the dentist gave me about 10 shots of novocaine, he said, "Put the rubber dam on her." Rubber dam? What the heck is a rubber dam?!... I had no idea what I was in for. Apparently a rubber dam is a little contraption they put on to isolate the tooth, so they can work on it easier. And it looks like this, when it's on....

My mouth was as wide open as possible, I was numb on the one side of my face, it was completely awkward, and the little piece of rubber was obstructing my nostrils. So there I am in this completely uncomfortable and foreign situation, and then here comes the dentist drill! RRRRRrrrrrrreeeeer! RRrrrrrrrreeeerrrr! I swear this was some strange form of ancient Chinese torture.

After it was all done, I went back to work. I couldn't feel the whole right side of my face- from my eyelid all the way down my neck. I talked with a lisp, I couldn't swallow, it was lunch time and I could eat. It was pure torture, I tell you!

The numbness didn't go away for 4 or 5 hours after the appointment! But, once it was gone, the pain hit. Every spot he had given me a shot killed, and I apparently had bitten my tongue and didn't feel it.

So what's the moral of the story? Don't eat candy and brush your teeth!

4 comments:

Sharon said...

I HATE THE DENTIST. Ew ew ew and ew. Good on ya for surviving the torture!

Amy said...

I am usually not understanding because we all go to the dentist... but you described this in a way that made me SICK! EW! Nasty! NOW I hate the dentist too!

Olivia said...

gahh! I hate the dentist!

Anonymous said...

I see everyone here hates dentists... I'm studying dentistry and I get really sad to read this... :( okay, I agree that most of the older dentists don't care or don't know how to manage pain... but decades ago they just didn't learn it like we do now. but today... today the universities focus their teaching on the patient's comfort! everyday we are reminded to make our best efforts to ensure that every little procedure is absolutely painless and that no one bites his own tongue after leaving the room... comments like those got the dentists worldwide fed up of being "torturers, evil, nasty and hateful" so much that today, in the chair of the new generation of dentists, pain does not exist. it's a myth. but yeah, people will keep complaining, even if they don't feel a thing. and dentists will always be evil... even if they are the kindest they can. I'm really sad to say so, but I realise people don't use to think about what they say. Look again at those comments, just because someone told the dentist was evil, the negative idea spread to many others who had no reasons to say so! "Now I hate the dentist too!" Incredible. Actually, this is exactly how children learn to panic when they visit doctors, nurses and dentists: older people say "eww, that's a torture! behave or you'll have to go to the dentist!" Of course they will fear him because you just taught them your fear. And adults like you (I think) seem to have learnt hate by the same way. :(